Dolma (Algerian Stuffed Vegetables) is a family of stuffed vegetable dishes in the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire. Common vegetables to stuff include zucchini, eggplant, tomato and pepper. The stuffing may or may not include meat.
THis video is brought to you Courtesy of cookingwithalia
- zucchini (each about 7 inches long)
- 2 potatoes (each about 4 inches long)
- 1/2 lb ground beef or 1/2 lb lamb
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb lamb shank, in 4 pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juiceChange Measurements: US | Metric
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 1/4 hr
- 1 Peel the zucchini and potatoes.
- 2 Chop the stem off the zucchinis.
- 3 Chop the potatoes and zucchini in half short ways so now you have 4 zucchini pieces, each about 3 inches long and 4 potato pieces, each about 2 inches long.
- 4 Carefully scoop out the inside of each zucchini piece, leaving a wall about 1/4 inch thick around. Discard the scooped out part.
- 5 Carefully scoop out each potato in the same manner but save the scooped out portion.
- 6 Mix together the ground meat, 1 tablespoon of parsley, rice, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- 7 Stuff the meat mixture into the potatoes and zucchini, loosely.
- 8 Heat oil in large pan and saute onion and lamb together.
- 9 Add the water and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- 10 Add the chick peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 11 Put the stuffed vegetables in the sauce along with the reserved potato pieces. Cook covered for 1/2 hour.
- 12 Remove from heat and add lemon juice and 1 tbsp parsley